Monday, August 19, 2013

Number 1: Folklorama


WARNING: This post contains beer...



Folklorama is possibly one of the best parts of summer in Winnipeg. Every year I try and hit as many pavilions as possible, with one of those always being the German pavilion. My friends have a long standing tradition of going to the late night party at the German Pavilion on the Saturday of whichever week it is running. For the last two consecutive years I have been lucky enough to join them! It always starts with a pre-game where we put on Beerfest and gear up for a long night of food, dancing, and of course, German Beer! We're also that really cool group who takes a limo so that all 20+ of us can fit in one vehicle and not worry about being DD. (So yeah, you could say we're pretty special).






This year was possibly better than the last because I remembered to bring enough money to buy Schnitzel. Oh. My. God. Schnitzel. It may have been the best thing I've ever eaten. I also indulged in a bratwurst because "When In Rome Germany"... The show was just as entertaining as it is every year and hats off to the dancers because that is some real talent.



After dinner and the show we were ready to hit the dance floor in full force. I'm kind of a polka master so I definitely showed my skills off a little bit. The music was a great mix between current hits and polka favorites. But of course nothing got the crowd going more than the Chicken Dance! It doesn't matter how old I am, the Chicken Dance will always bring me back to a sweaty middle school gym. 




I also have a friend who wears Lederhosen every year and pulls it off better than any other 27 year old I know. 

I chalk up a good night to how dirty my feet got from being a dancing machine. I would say this means a pretty big success...
I have gross feet, sorry!

While I only had time to hit up the German Pavilion this year, I have been to many, many others in the past. Some of my favorites of years past have been: Scottish Pavilion, Brazil, Chile, and Cuba Va!

If you didn't have the opportunity to hit up a pavilion this year I strongly recommend making time for it next year. It's one of the easiest and cheapest ways to get a taste of the world. So much culture and food!

No comments

Post a Comment